This year the American Le Mans Series GT Challenge class, for Porsche GT3 Cup cars, is stacked with some of the best of the best of Porsche 911 drivers in the world. Names like Edwards, Lally, Bleekemolen, Estre, Faulkner, Pumpelly. Maassen. Aces all. In this shark pool jumps Team Axis in the number 31 car with our CG, Carlos Gomez along with pros Kuba Giermaziak and Mario Farnbacher.
The top 9 qualifiers in class were all within 9/10th of a second of each other, Kuba qualified the Axis car 1.6 seconds off the pace in P10.
Practice had shown it would have been unrealistic to shoot for a higher position on the grid so the team, run by NGT Racing, decided to concentrate on making the car a comfortable as possible to drive for the grueling 12 hours. That meant finding a good front-rear balance sacrificing some outright speed for more even tire wear during the stints.
12 hours on the choppy, brutal concrete of Sebring is like 24 hours of wear and tear on the machines and the men on any other track.
The objective is to survive the big day tomorrow... better than the other guys! Go Axis.
|Photo: Jamey Price|
GTC Qualifying unofficial
- Andy Lally Dempsey / Del Piero Racing 2:05.446
- Jeroen Bleekemolen Weathertech / Alex Job Racing 2:05.747
- Sean Edwards Momo / NGT 2:05.747
- Spencer Pumpelly Venezuela / Flying Lizards 2:05.765
- Damien Faulkner Florida Lottery / TRG 2:05.910
- Jan Heylen Hertz / JDX Racing 2:05.936
- Alexandre Imperatori Flying Lizards 2:05.059
- Andrew Davis Dempsey- Del Piero Racing 2:06.219
- Kevin Estre BePositive.org/ TRG 2:06.246
- Kuba Giermaziak Axis Of Oversteer / NGT 2:07.057
- Lawson Aschenbach Competition Motorsports 2:07.336