You got to love Kimi, just give him a car that works, he'll take care of the champagne at the end. Fantastic to see Lotus on top in the first race, they are the underdog everyone likes to cheer for and for them to do it on a risky two stop strategy and from P7 on the grid makes it that much sweeter.
Great result for Ferrari too with a second and a fourth, what a difference from last year. Alonso right on the money from P4, passing his teammate and Vettel with an early stop gamble. Massa a solid fourth place.
Red Bulls were just average but remember Melbourne is an odd track. Still, starting from the front row and finishing third and sixth does not give you wings.
- Lotus-Renault/Raikkonen:What can you say when Kimi said it was easy!
- Adrian Sutil: Seriously, the guy just shut down all the haters.
- Alonso/Ferrari: Great heads up driving in his duel with Hamilton. Ferrari gets a car right, finally.
- Hamilton: If he had stuck with Mclaren he would have been worse off! Heads up driving all race
- Massa: Still the emotional guy Smedley has to manage but solid now.
- Webber: Another crap start from the front row, really? Later team blamed the car but his race was crap from the moment he let the clutch out.
- Mclaren: Now they know how Ferrari felt last year. They blew qualifying for Perez insisting he go out on slicks when it was obviously wet then thanked Button for telling them to put the damn intermediates on. Does not compute!
- Grosjean: He drove like he was concerned about not hitting anyone
- Mercedes: Not good enough,
- Williams: Wow
- Sauber: Wow
Executive Summary after the break
Welcome back F1 fans!
Results via Autosport.com
PROVISIONAL RACE RESULTS The Australian Grand Prix Albert Park, Australia; 58 laps; 307.574km; Weather: Cloudy. Classified: Pos Driver Team Time/Gap 1. Kimi Raikkonen Lotus-Renault 1h30m03.225s 2. Fernando Alonso Ferrari + 12.451s 3. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault + 22.346s 4. Felipe Massa Ferrari + 33.577s 5. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes + 45.561s 6. Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault + 46.800s 7. Adrian Sutil Force India-Mercedes + 1m05.068s 8. Paul di Resta Force India-Mercedes + 1m08.449s 9. Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes + 1m21.630s 10. Romain Grosjean Lotus-Renault + 1m22.759s 11. Sergio Perez McLaren-Mercedes + 1m23.367s 12. Jean-Eric Vergne Toro Rosso-Ferrari + 1m23.857s 13. Esteban Gutierrez Sauber-Ferrari + 1 lap 14. Valtteri Bottas Williams-Renault + 1 lap 15. Jules Bianchi Marussia-Cosworth + 1 lap 16. Charles Pic Caterham-Renault + 2 laps 17. Max Chilton Marussia-Cosworth + 2 laps 18. Giedo van der Garde Caterham-Renault + 2 laps Fastest lap: Raikkonen, 1m29.274s Not classified/retirements: Driver Team On lap Daniel Ricciardo Toro Rosso-Ferrari 40 Nico Rosberg Mercedes 26 Pastor Maldonado Williams-Renault 25 Nico Hulkenberg Sauber-Ferrari 1 World Championship standings, round 1: Drivers: Constructors: 1. Raikkonen 25 1. Ferrari 30 2. Alonso 18 2. Lotus-Renault 26 3. Vettel 15 3. Red Bull-Renault 23 4. Massa 12 4. Mercedes 10 5. Hamilton 10 5. Force India-Mercedes 10 6. Webber 8 6. McLaren-Mercedes 2 7. Sutil 6 8. Di Resta 4 9. Button 2 10. Grosjean 1