(photo: James Chow)
Hamilton must be seriously cheesed off today: he put in a brilliant, heroic lap, popping up that DRS wing in places nobody else dared to but all for nothing. He bested by Vettel who, in truly Senna like fashion , proved his quote "in quali, you pull down your trousers and show what you have got."
The two Mclarens will start on the "dirty" side which will make the whole KERS thing interesting. Nobody is quite sure what or how Red Bull is running theirs, or if at all. Alonso said it he is puzzled since the RB don't seem to accelerate as much as other cars when they engage the boost.
Apparently Ferrari has many things more to figure out as once again they were well off the qualifying pace though Alonso did well to drag the car to fifth and a points scoring possibility.
Tomorrow look for who will be forced to stop first, all the top runners were on their last set of softs which they used in their final run... Then again, it might rain and Bernie will be happy!
Check out this new camera view, it's something similar to the gyroscopic camera MotoGP experimented with but the other way around, this illustrates G-forces and gives a much better idea of the violence involved. We'll take a forward mounted one please!
Pos Driver Team Time Gap
1. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault 1m34.870s
2. Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 1m34.974s + 0.104
3. Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault 1m35.179s + 0.309
4. Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 1m35.200s + 0.330
5. Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1m35.802s + 0.932
6. Nick Heidfeld Renault 1m36.124s + 1.254
7. Felipe Massa Ferrari 1m36.251s + 1.381
8. Vitaly Petrov Renault 1m36.324s + 1.454
9. Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1m36.809s + 1.939
10. Kamui Kobayashi Sauber-Ferrari 1m36.820s + 1.950
Q3 cut-off time: 1m36.811s Gap **
11. Michael Schumacher Mercedes 1m37.035s + 1.466
12. Sebastien Buemi Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m37.160s + 1.591
13. Jaime Alguersuari Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m37.347s + 1.778
14. Paul di Resta Force India-Mercedes 1m37.370s + 1.801
15. Rubens Barrichello Williams-Cosworth 1m37.496s + 1.927
16. Sergio Perez Sauber-Ferrari 1m37.528s + 1.959
17. Adrian Sutil Force India-Mercedes 1m37.593s + 2.024
Q3 cut-off time: 1m38.163s Gap *
18. Pastor Maldonado Williams-Cosworth 1m38.276s + 1.532
19. Heikki Kovalainen Lotus-Renault 1m38.645s + 1.901
20. Jarno Trulli Lotus-Renault 1m38.791s + 2.047
21. Timo Glock Virgin-Cosworth 1m40.648s + 3.904
22. Jerome D'Ambrosio Virgin-Cosworth 1m41.001s + 4.257
23. Tonio Liuzzi HRT-Cosworth 1m41.549s + 4.805
24. Narain Karthikeyan HRT-Cosworth 1m42.574s + 5.830
107% time: 1m43.516s
* Gap to quickest in Q1
** Gap to quickest in Q2
end of post