January 16, 2011
Racing on the Moon, Chased by Helicopters
That what the Dakar seems like. The race ended today without surprises, VW dominated the car class for the 12th time in 13 tries.
Quatari prince Nasser Al-Attiyah finally defeated El Matador, Carlos Sainz who was faster but ran into trouble and ended up third, behind the other VW of South African De Villiers. The BMW X3 challenger finished 4th with Stephane Peterhansel ruing some navigation errors and technical issues but vowing to be back in 2012.
Aprilia's challenge to Red Bull KTM's domination went nowhere and the Russians won the truck class again.
No big surprises but check out some spectacular pictures after the jump
01. Nasser Al-Attiyah/Timo Gottschalk (QAT/GER Volkswagen) 45hr 04min 07sec
02. Giniel de Villiers/Dirk Von Zitzewitz (RSA/GER/Volkswagen) at 49:41
03. Carlos Sainz/Lucas Cruz (ESP/Volkswagen) 1hr 20min 38sec
04. Stephane Peterhansel/Jean-Paul Cottret (FRA/BMW) 1h 43:48
05. Krzysztof Holowczyc/Jean-Marc Fortin (POL/BEL/BMW) 4h 11:21
06. Mark Miller/Ralph Pitchford (USA/RSA/Volkswagen) 4 h 54:40
(photos: ap, VW, forocoches.com)