Afterwards, Vettel blamed traffic, more than his own driving errors for the missed pole and could not resist taking a swing at Alonso in the press conference when he referenced the 2008 race ( to the delight of the many Fernando haters in the press core). I'm not sure Fernando is the type to be rattled by that sort of thing.
Webber was a bit lackluster but the good news is that all five title contenders are once again all there, clustered together, first through fifth on the grid. Tomorrow should be a first lap not to be missed.
It will be interesting once more to see who plays it safe and who "goes for it" in terms of the championship.
Vettel pretty much has to attack, He's expected to win. If he gets past Alonso in the first lap then he will be gone but how is he at passing?
Button and Alonso are, in my view, the ones in the best place psychologically in terms of pressure. In the popular view, they are considered the outsiders among the five.
Hamilton has been on a bit of a downward slide after losing the championship lead in Monza, I'm sure he will attack with all he's got. Webber is faced with this season being his only chance to be Champion and will have to administer his lead without making stupid errors. Not easy, even for a cool character like him, on a bumpy street track with a car eating chicane.
Here is Alonso's pole lap (with German commentary!)
Pos Driver Team Q1 Q2 Q3
1. Alonso Ferrari 1:46.541 1:45.809 1:45.390
2. Vettel Red Bull-Renault 1:46.960 1:45.561 1:45.457
3. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 1:48.296 1:46.042 1:45.571
4. Button McLaren-Mercedes 1:48.032 1:46.490 1:45.944
5. Webber Red Bull-Renault 1:47.088 1:45.908 1:45.977
6. Barrichello Williams-Cosworth 1:48.183 1:47.019 1:46.236
7. Rosberg Mercedes 1:48.554 1:46.783 1:46.443
8. Kubica Renault 1:47.657 1:46.949 1:46.593
9. Schumacher Mercedes 1:48.425 1:47.160 1:46.702
10. Kobayashi Sauber-Ferrari 1:48.908 1:47.599 1:47.884
11. Alguersuari Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1:48.127 1:47.666
12. Hulkenberg Williams-Cosworth 1:47.984 1:47.674
13. Petrov Renault 1:48.906 1:48.165
14. Buemi Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1:49.063 1:48.502
15. Heidfeld Sauber-Ferrari 1:48.696 1:48.557
16. Sutil Force India-Mercedes 1:48.496 1:48.899
17. Liuzzi Force India-Mercedes 1:48.988 1:48.961
18. Glock Virgin-Cosworth 1:50.721
19. Kovalainen Lotus-Cosworth 1:50.915
20. di Grassi Virgin-Cosworth 1:51.107
21. Trulli Lotus-Cosworth 1:51.641
22. Klien HRT-Cosworth 1:52.946
23. Senna HRT-Cosworth 1:54.174
24. Massa Ferrari
All Timing Unofficial
end of post